Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cherry Bars

This recipe is one from my Grandma "B". These are so good and never last long at picnics. I am hoping to find more recipes from my grandma to add to this site. Most of my in laws are diabetic so for holidays I often use Splenda. But this recipe is NOT good with Splenda. I believe that if a recipe calls for more than one cup of sugar you should not use Splenda as a substitute. With Splenda you only use half the amount of sugar a recipe calls for. But I definitely would not recommend substituting it unless your original recipes calls for 1 cup of sugar or less.

Cherry Bars
Grandma B

2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 tsp. vanilla
3 cups of flour
1 can of cherry pie filling

Use a jelly roll or sheet cake pan for these. I use a cookie sheet that has the sides on it and that works great too.

Blend sugar and oil until smooth. Then add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add salt, vanilla and flour one cup at a time. Mix well. Pour 3/4 of the mixture into your greased pan. Spread cherries evenly on top and then dab on remaining batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment